Skip to main content

Soccer Mom

It seems like it was just yesterday when I toted around an oversized bag filled with diapers, bottles and pacifiers. I vacuumed up cheerios three times a day and mopped oatmeal off the floor each morning. I woke up in the middle of the night for feedings or comforting and cuddling a little bundle. I wore holes in the knees of my jeans from crawling around on the floor after rambunctious noise-makers.

That's what it means to be a mom.


But, I'm not that kind of mom anymore. I'm going through a transition these days and I'm transforming into a SOCCER MOM. Scary. I never in my wildest dreams thought that would be me. I don't even like soccer.

But here I am, toting a soccer ball, sweaty shin guards, snacks and juice boxes for a team of kiddos who run around for an hour and call it a "sport."

I'm becoming the mom who drops her kids off a school in the morning, volunteers in the classroom and makes cupcakes for Valentine's day parties. No more pacifiers for me.

The kids don't need me to push them on the swings anymore or catch them at the end of the slide. They can climb to the top of the tree in the backyard and wave at me like little monkeys hanging off the branches.

So, dad got some lumber and built a little tree fort for them (to curb the climbing, although I don't know if it's helped...now the little guy can get up high enough to climb the tree on his own too!). They've spent their afternoons up in the fort dreaming and imagining all sorts of things. Up there they can be Olympians, knights and princesses, pirates or moms and dads.

As I watch my little tree-climbing reader who wants to be a soccer star, I think, these are the best days of motherhood.

Lemonade stands, rubber band music, tree forts and soccer.

I think being a soccer mom is simply marvelous!

Comments

Unknown said…
...and then you blink and one of them is a college freshman! That where I am at! I do miss those days of juice boxes and snacks, sitting on the sidelines with other moms! But this is kind of fun too! Each season has it's "newness" and really neat aspects. But...they all go so fast!

Enjoy this time!
wakakakak... you surely have a good time with the children :D:D

have a wonderful day!

ups, do not forget to read my latest posting:

http://paintyourlife.blogspot.com/2008/08/just-like-dream.html

God bless you :D:D
Edie said…
I like soccer! And that treehouse... we had a treehouse when I was a kid. You know I had forgotten about it til I saw that picture of your sweet kids having such a great time. I'm glad I stopped by for the memories and memories in the making!
Tammy said…
Watch out....after being a soccer mom you may someday be stretched to be a soccer mom COACH! Or in my case, a soccer grandma coach!

These days will pass quickly! Enjoy them :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Phillip Yancey

Shannon, at Rocks in my Dryer , is hosting a huge giveaway! Isn't that exciting! I love to give something meaningful to my friends - as I shop, I always look for just the right item that fits our relationship and the individual's personality. So, if you stop by this little blog of mine, I think you might like this gift I've picked out. This fall, I have been nourished by the wisdom of Phillip Yancey in his recent book on prayer. Our Bible study has plumbed the depths of prayer with Yancey's help in this amazing book. My personal prayer life has been challenged and I have probed the deeper questions surrounding prayer with a beloved mentor. I would love for you to enjoy this book too. I'll be giving the book away to one blessed commenter. So, leave a comment here and I'll be drawing a name next week to give away this treasure box full of well-mined jewels from God's Word and life's experiences. Don't forget to leave a comment to be entered in the draw

Thankful Thursday

A few things that fill my heart with gratitude... *Bright explosions in the sky *Bug repellent *Calamine and band aids for when we forget about the bug repellent (and the polka dot girl I put to bed each night whose sensitive skin seems to attract the little suckers) *Days spent at the beach *Life jackets *Aloe, although it can't take away a lobster red sunburn, it does soothe *Photographs and memories *The public library. My family has been enjoying plenty of summer library programs. *Ok, I'm even thankful for cockroaches. The kids sure had fun playing with the huge ones the "Bug Guy" Brought in for the last program we attended. They even ate a few bugs. (I am NOT joking!) I, on the other hand, found it conveniently necessary to excuse myself to the restroom right around the time the roaches and tarantulas were being brought out. *I'm thankful for a new job...which will be starting soon (more on that later). *Green slime, explosions, goggles and lab coats...yes,

In REAL Life

This week, I've been thankful for some "real" life fun with people I love. Here's ONE: Yesterday morning, the kids started the day out with some Karaoke fun. The first song requested was "Shine" by the Newsboys and I smiled as the kids bounced around in the family room to this song. Our little guy then asked for his favorite: Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie. Don't ask me why. But hearing a three year old boy sing about big girls crying is just adorable. We progressed to "Big Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstill. I have no idea what she means (why not a black kitten and an apple tree?), but the kids love the "whoo-hoo" part and that's all that really matters. Whoo-hoo....whoo-hoo! And the last song, a favorite of all, "Mr. Roboto" by STYX. Oh yeah. We shine our light for Jesus in Robot style around our house. Three little robots marched around with jerky movements singing word-for-word the entire song. Here'