Skip to main content

Significant

We all want to feel significant.




sig·nif·i·cant (sĭg-nĭf'ĭ-kənt)
adj.
Having or expressing a meaning;
meaningful.



I remember when I won the district debate competition. Of course, our district was small and filled with small schools. There wasn't much competition. Nonetheless, I felt significant. Then, I went to the state competition and suddenly felt insignificant in the swarm of masterful debaters.

I pursued a teaching career because I wanted my life to make a significant impact in this world. And then I went overseas as a missionary to do significant work for Christ.

Why is it that we want to find our significance in our accomplishments? I want to SEE with my own eyes that I am doing something worthwhile. I need to know that my life has meaning. And I don't know about you, but I often rely on the praise of others or some recognition. If no one else noticed what I did, then it must not be significant.

What does the Bible say about my significance?

2 Corinthians 5:14-21
14For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

16So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 18All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21God made him who had no sin to be sin[a] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.



1. I should not be doing ministry (by the way, cleaning the kitchen floor is ministry and so is calling grandma) because I want to feel significant. That's not the right motivation for ministry. Paul said he was compelled (constrained, hemmed in, without another option) by Christ's LOVE.

There's no guilt trip here. Just a reminder to sit at Christ's feet and ask for eyes to see and heart to experience the amazing depth of His love for me. If I really understood His love, I would be consumed by it. If I experienced His love to the fullness, I would be overwhelmed.

Ephesians 3:17-19
And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.



2. Whether or not I'm significant doesn't depend on me anymore. My life is not my own. It belongs to Him. There is an amazing sense of personal value, importance, and meaning when I embrace my home in God's family. I've been called to be His. He created me as someone of worth.


Psalm 8:3-6
When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,

4 what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?

5 You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings [c]
and crowned him with glory and honor.

6 You made him ruler over the works of your hands;
you put everything under his feet:


I have a significant place in God's economy. I am in charge of His work. For me, that means being ruler over the affairs of my home and my children. Caring for my garden and my cat. In the world's eyes, these are not significant jobs, but in God's eyes they are.

3. How easy it is to be trapped in the world's ways of defining worth. Paul says we no longer measure things by the world's standards. In God's kingdom the measuring stick of success is not based on money earned, people influenced or material goods amassed. It is based upon something else entirely. We are significant because of Whose we are, not who we are. If you need to be reminded today of who you are in Christ, go visit Neil Anderson's biblical list here.

4. Big or small - all work is significant to God when it has eternal results and when it is done for Him. He calls us ALL (His children) to be ambassadors. Isn't that amazing? We are employed by the King of heaven in the most significant work of all: changing lives.

We are ambassadors when we interact with our checker at the grocery market.

We are ambassadors when we bring food to a new mom or a shut-in.

We are ambassadors when we read Bible stories to our children.

We are ambassadors when we send an encouraging email to a friend.

If we are living in Christ and for Christ, then you and I are doing significant work all the time.

Father, today, I want my significance to be firmly rooted in Christ's love for me and my life to be lived only for Him.

Comments

Denise said…
Awesome my friend, bless you.
lori said…
Have you ever heard the Sara Groves song...Know my Heart...

Why do I pray? Do I pray to say I prayed an hour?
Why do I love? Do I want you beholden to me?
Why do I help? Do I help to hear my name called out?
And why do I sing?

Chorus:
Search me and know my heart, oh God.
See if there is any wrong thing in me.
All I have ever really wanted –
Clean hands and a pure heart.

As soon as I read this post I thought of this song that I heard yesterday in the car....it's old but wow...it made me think, and again this morning...YOU made me think....soooo, I see a message here!

Thanks for confirming what I needed to hear....
love ya!
hugs for the blessing!
lori
Kathy Schwanke said…
Reading your post reminded me of a quote I read last night: "Finally he looked at me and said calmly, "who are you to think you are better than our Lord? After all, he was singularly unsuccessful with a great many people." That remark, made to me many years ago, has stood me in good stead, time and again. I have to try, but I do not have to succeed. Following Christ has nothing to do with success as the world sees success. It has to do with love." Madeleine L'Engle

I just thought "wow!"
Unknown said…
Wow, wow, wow. I needed to read this.

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Phillip Yancey

Shannon, at Rocks in my Dryer , is hosting a huge giveaway! Isn't that exciting! I love to give something meaningful to my friends - as I shop, I always look for just the right item that fits our relationship and the individual's personality. So, if you stop by this little blog of mine, I think you might like this gift I've picked out. This fall, I have been nourished by the wisdom of Phillip Yancey in his recent book on prayer. Our Bible study has plumbed the depths of prayer with Yancey's help in this amazing book. My personal prayer life has been challenged and I have probed the deeper questions surrounding prayer with a beloved mentor. I would love for you to enjoy this book too. I'll be giving the book away to one blessed commenter. So, leave a comment here and I'll be drawing a name next week to give away this treasure box full of well-mined jewels from God's Word and life's experiences. Don't forget to leave a comment to be entered in the draw

Thankful Thursday

A few things that fill my heart with gratitude... *Bright explosions in the sky *Bug repellent *Calamine and band aids for when we forget about the bug repellent (and the polka dot girl I put to bed each night whose sensitive skin seems to attract the little suckers) *Days spent at the beach *Life jackets *Aloe, although it can't take away a lobster red sunburn, it does soothe *Photographs and memories *The public library. My family has been enjoying plenty of summer library programs. *Ok, I'm even thankful for cockroaches. The kids sure had fun playing with the huge ones the "Bug Guy" Brought in for the last program we attended. They even ate a few bugs. (I am NOT joking!) I, on the other hand, found it conveniently necessary to excuse myself to the restroom right around the time the roaches and tarantulas were being brought out. *I'm thankful for a new job...which will be starting soon (more on that later). *Green slime, explosions, goggles and lab coats...yes,

In REAL Life

This week, I've been thankful for some "real" life fun with people I love. Here's ONE: Yesterday morning, the kids started the day out with some Karaoke fun. The first song requested was "Shine" by the Newsboys and I smiled as the kids bounced around in the family room to this song. Our little guy then asked for his favorite: Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie. Don't ask me why. But hearing a three year old boy sing about big girls crying is just adorable. We progressed to "Big Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstill. I have no idea what she means (why not a black kitten and an apple tree?), but the kids love the "whoo-hoo" part and that's all that really matters. Whoo-hoo....whoo-hoo! And the last song, a favorite of all, "Mr. Roboto" by STYX. Oh yeah. We shine our light for Jesus in Robot style around our house. Three little robots marched around with jerky movements singing word-for-word the entire song. Here'