Skip to main content

Sola Scriptura

How do we determine what we believe? Upon what do we base our belief system and our code of ethics? If this is relative (as in popular thought), then there is no truth. Because truth is absolute by definition.

Jesus said He is the way, the truth and the life. No one can come to the Father except through Him. Paul added that we cannot know Jesus unless we have heard the good news of the gospel. And where do we hear about Jesus? The only reliable source of truth is the 66 books which are inspired by the very breath of God. They must be taken as a whole, because each prophet or man of God was moved by the Spirit to write those words. They are not the words of man, but of the living God. This is why Marin Luther said we must live by the words of God alone; that we must let God's words dictate our doctrines and theology, not man's thinking.

"The Word of God well understood and religiously obeyed is the shortest route to spiritual perfection. And we must not select a few favorite passages to the exclusion of others. Nothing less than a whole Bible can make a whole Christian."

~ A.W. Tozer ~


At first glance we might balk at Tozer's words here. God has made me righteous by grace alone through faith, not by religiously obeying God's word. But that is not what Tozer is saying. He is talking about "perfection" and scripturally, perfection means completeness. If we want to be complete and whole, we will not only read the cozy warm fuzzy parts of God's Word which tickle our ears, but we will read it in entirety. We must read Scripture in context, not making it say what we want it to say (not proof-texting) and we must not skip over the parts that are hard.

Remember the disciples said to Jesus after many a parable, "This is hard teaching. Who can follow it?" Yes, it is hard to be a disciple of Christ because a disciple is willing to pick up his cross daily - and death is never easy. But, Jesus left us the Holy Spirit to interpret His words for us and to enable us to obey them. We have His power in us to live obediently so we're not on our own.

Why do we want to ignore some scriptures? The writer of Hebrews says that God's word is like a sword - it pierces. Our first reaction when we are pierced is to deny the truth because the truth about ourselves can be ugly sometimes. The hardest thing to do sometimes is to admit that we were wrong and to allow God to be sovereign in our lives - to trust Him to lead while we follow.

Psalm 119 is a tribute to God's words, a hymn of praise for all of God's decrees, laws and precepts. Truthfully, it seems weird to praise decrees - I just "love" to be told what to do! I'm a little turned off by someone who "loves" laws because law is restrictive and I'm not sure I honestly love that. Then I realize that God has built a perimeter around my life that hems me in to safety. His laws are not just prohibitive but protective and that gives me comfort because His laws are all based upon His great love for me. This psalm is the longest one in the psalter because it is an acrostic - each stanza begins with a letter of the Hebrew alphabet. So, I sat down with Psalm 119 and created my own little acrostic of adoration for God's Holy Word. I'll post that tomorrow, but in the meantime, you might enjoy reading through Psalm 119 yourself and meditating on the power and beauty of God's Word.

"Do not let this Book of the Law depart from you mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." Joshua 1:8


For more writing on these thoughts, visit Chocolate and Coffee. Also, don't forget to sign up for my giveaway!
*Edited at 9:42 10/30/07 (Should have edited before I posted !:)

Comments

lori said…
"But, Jesus left us the Holy Spirit to interpret His words for us and to enable us to obey them. We have His power in us to live obediently so we're not on our own."

~beautiful words~
I love that...we have to read it to interpret it through the Holy Spirit...~amen~

enjoyed my visit, as always~~
lori
Miriam Pauline said…
Great post! This really speaks to me. Bless you for sharing.
Denise said…
I love your insights, bless you.,
Anonymous said…
Looking forward to your acrostic! Blessings..
Anonymous said…
The verse Joshua 1:8 is perfect for this weeks quote... because we can't obediently reflect on God's word unless we know it ~
Lisa said…
Great post, Heather! I really appreciate your solid thoughts!
Anonymous said…
Wow! Your thoughts were right on and I so appreciate your sharing - and sharing the truth.
Anonymous said…
Excellent post. How true!!
Anonymous said…
Why do we want to ignore some scriptures? The writer of Hebrews says that God's word is like a sword - it pierces.

Ain't that the truth! Great post.

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Phillip Yancey

Shannon, at Rocks in my Dryer , is hosting a huge giveaway! Isn't that exciting! I love to give something meaningful to my friends - as I shop, I always look for just the right item that fits our relationship and the individual's personality. So, if you stop by this little blog of mine, I think you might like this gift I've picked out. This fall, I have been nourished by the wisdom of Phillip Yancey in his recent book on prayer. Our Bible study has plumbed the depths of prayer with Yancey's help in this amazing book. My personal prayer life has been challenged and I have probed the deeper questions surrounding prayer with a beloved mentor. I would love for you to enjoy this book too. I'll be giving the book away to one blessed commenter. So, leave a comment here and I'll be drawing a name next week to give away this treasure box full of well-mined jewels from God's Word and life's experiences. Don't forget to leave a comment to be entered in the draw

Thankful Thursday

A few things that fill my heart with gratitude... *Bright explosions in the sky *Bug repellent *Calamine and band aids for when we forget about the bug repellent (and the polka dot girl I put to bed each night whose sensitive skin seems to attract the little suckers) *Days spent at the beach *Life jackets *Aloe, although it can't take away a lobster red sunburn, it does soothe *Photographs and memories *The public library. My family has been enjoying plenty of summer library programs. *Ok, I'm even thankful for cockroaches. The kids sure had fun playing with the huge ones the "Bug Guy" Brought in for the last program we attended. They even ate a few bugs. (I am NOT joking!) I, on the other hand, found it conveniently necessary to excuse myself to the restroom right around the time the roaches and tarantulas were being brought out. *I'm thankful for a new job...which will be starting soon (more on that later). *Green slime, explosions, goggles and lab coats...yes,

In REAL Life

This week, I've been thankful for some "real" life fun with people I love. Here's ONE: Yesterday morning, the kids started the day out with some Karaoke fun. The first song requested was "Shine" by the Newsboys and I smiled as the kids bounced around in the family room to this song. Our little guy then asked for his favorite: Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie. Don't ask me why. But hearing a three year old boy sing about big girls crying is just adorable. We progressed to "Big Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstill. I have no idea what she means (why not a black kitten and an apple tree?), but the kids love the "whoo-hoo" part and that's all that really matters. Whoo-hoo....whoo-hoo! And the last song, a favorite of all, "Mr. Roboto" by STYX. Oh yeah. We shine our light for Jesus in Robot style around our house. Three little robots marched around with jerky movements singing word-for-word the entire song. Here'