Skip to main content

March 2020 What a Weird World We Live in - Day 1 Friday March 13





January 11, 2020 The first person in China dies of an unknown virus, the Coronavirus, later changing names to covid-19.  Most of us in the US didn't think too much of it at this time - China is a long ways away.  January 21 was the first confirmed case in the states but again it didn't seem to concerning yet.  I remember H1N1 and the copious amounts of hand sanitizer and wipes that we provided to classrooms at the time but the actually flu never quite impacted us as badly as we expected, so my level of concern in January/February was pretty low (which was true of most of us here in America).

By February, things were getting out of control overseas, in Europe, S. Korea, a cruise ship in Japan, etc.  It became a global health emergency (see the New York Times article for a timeline) and it was definitely concerning but it hadn't changed our lives at all at this point.

On Monday March 9, my school district was alerted that our students in Destination Imagination had been exposed to the virus by a person who tested positive who attended the event in Osceola.  I was surprised - we had 2 positive cases in all of Wisconsin at this point - how could it have impacted little Shell Lake and our north woods rural communities?  Now, it was finally seeming a bit real.  A message went out to parents, the county health department was busy contacting all of those who attended the event, but we still had school...  On Tuesday, the nurse suggested that we tell our staff to prepare for a school closure and get materials ready for students to learn at home.


Thursday March 12th we met as a crisis response team and realized that the changes were potentially going to come quicker than we had originally expected so we created some plans, changed our agenda for Friday's inservice day to include time for teachers to prepare packets of work and have them ready to go.  Colleges started extending spring break for 2 more weeks so we knew it was coming - tension was in the air.  Friday the 13th was a work day - we were ready for whenever the closure would come.  Those two days were stressful, full of tons of decisions and planning and discussions with our team - conflicting opinions on how serious or long this might be and I came home each night exhausted from the pressure as a leader.

Image may contain: sky, ocean, cloud, outdoor and nature, possible text that says 'LET NOT YOUR HEART BE TROUBLED: you believe IN GOD, believe also IN ME. John 14:1'Darren wrote a blog "Fear and the Unknown" on the 12th and Drydenwire published it - it was a needed reminder to keep our eyes on the Lord during this time.  I am reading two Lent devotionals right now and the scriptures have been amazing and timely:

John 14:1, and 27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.”

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.

Friday the 13th - yep, it was a weird day and it was the first day of this historic and strange time which none of use were really expecting or prepared for.

Day 1


3:30 on Friday Katie got the message that she would not be going back to Chicago to complete her freshman year of college, but would be staying home and learning online for the remainder of the semester.  It wasn't a temporary closure - she needed to go back (she was on spring break at home) and pack up her room to return home for the duration of the school year.  We were shocked.

4:00 The governor of Wisconsin closed K-12 schools until April 6th.  It still was a shock, but I felt like we were prepared.

We had dinner as a family and then I decided I should get to the grocery store before it got too crazy - just to do my normal weekly shopping, not to be a doomsday prepper (I heard a little about the toilet paper hoarding but I couldn't figure out why that was a big deal).

Aldi's was flat out depressing.  It wasn't just toilet paper that was gone.  Everything was gone - the shelves were empty - nothing I needed was there anywhere.  No canned soup, no spaghetti sauce, bread, mac and cheese, green beans, chicken, fresh fruit or veggies.  It was so strange.  That night we all went to bed feeling out of place, off kilter, shell shocked and honestly lacking peace.  What was going on?  Day 1


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Phillip Yancey

Shannon, at Rocks in my Dryer , is hosting a huge giveaway! Isn't that exciting! I love to give something meaningful to my friends - as I shop, I always look for just the right item that fits our relationship and the individual's personality. So, if you stop by this little blog of mine, I think you might like this gift I've picked out. This fall, I have been nourished by the wisdom of Phillip Yancey in his recent book on prayer. Our Bible study has plumbed the depths of prayer with Yancey's help in this amazing book. My personal prayer life has been challenged and I have probed the deeper questions surrounding prayer with a beloved mentor. I would love for you to enjoy this book too. I'll be giving the book away to one blessed commenter. So, leave a comment here and I'll be drawing a name next week to give away this treasure box full of well-mined jewels from God's Word and life's experiences. Don't forget to leave a comment to be entered in the draw

Thankful Thursday

A few things that fill my heart with gratitude... *Bright explosions in the sky *Bug repellent *Calamine and band aids for when we forget about the bug repellent (and the polka dot girl I put to bed each night whose sensitive skin seems to attract the little suckers) *Days spent at the beach *Life jackets *Aloe, although it can't take away a lobster red sunburn, it does soothe *Photographs and memories *The public library. My family has been enjoying plenty of summer library programs. *Ok, I'm even thankful for cockroaches. The kids sure had fun playing with the huge ones the "Bug Guy" Brought in for the last program we attended. They even ate a few bugs. (I am NOT joking!) I, on the other hand, found it conveniently necessary to excuse myself to the restroom right around the time the roaches and tarantulas were being brought out. *I'm thankful for a new job...which will be starting soon (more on that later). *Green slime, explosions, goggles and lab coats...yes,

In REAL Life

This week, I've been thankful for some "real" life fun with people I love. Here's ONE: Yesterday morning, the kids started the day out with some Karaoke fun. The first song requested was "Shine" by the Newsboys and I smiled as the kids bounced around in the family room to this song. Our little guy then asked for his favorite: Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie. Don't ask me why. But hearing a three year old boy sing about big girls crying is just adorable. We progressed to "Big Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstill. I have no idea what she means (why not a black kitten and an apple tree?), but the kids love the "whoo-hoo" part and that's all that really matters. Whoo-hoo....whoo-hoo! And the last song, a favorite of all, "Mr. Roboto" by STYX. Oh yeah. We shine our light for Jesus in Robot style around our house. Three little robots marched around with jerky movements singing word-for-word the entire song. Here'