Skip to main content

Women of Influence


I've been thinking a lot lately about what it means to be a woman of influence, someone whose life, words and actions influences others. Who are those people who have influenced us as women to be strong leaders, to courageously follow God's adventurous plan for us, to lean hard on Jesus and to become women of God who stand strong for His purposes?  There were women along the way in my life who were my champions, my cheerleaders-they were women who challenged me to meet my potential; they were examples of godly womanhood who were unassuming and not even intentionally mentoring me. 

I started pondering this a few months ago when I was asked who was mentoring me as part of a women's retreat conversation.  I didn't initially have a good answer to this question....But, sometimes we make mentoring and discipleship into a program that people sign up for and the truth is it's really better when it's an organic relationship and we learn from someone simply by being with them. 

Image result for do not let anyone look down on you because you are youngI never really thought I would be a leader but other people saw that potential in me and it's their influence and mentoring that made me who I am today.  I remember my InterVarsity leader, Shelly Trebesh, sitting me down as a college freshman and asking me why I wasn't leading a Bible study.  I was thinking, ummmm, because I'm a freshman?  and I don't know what I'm doing?  Can't I just be led for a while first?  Boy, did she have to work hard to get me to realize that I already had what it took to lead a small group - I had a deep relationship with Jesus and willingness to learn.  Shelly's leadership gave me an example to follow and eventually inspired me to become a missionary. 

My speech and debate teacher/coach, Debbie Rice, inspired me to try something completely unknown, something pretty intimidating (Lincoln-Douglas competitive debating) and I found for the first time in high school that I had a strength.  Debbie Rice pushed me out of my comfort zone and made me learn how to research controversial topics, defend a viewpoint and be persuasive which built my confidence and made me think I wanted to be a lawyer (glad I didn't follow through on that on though!)  Debbie Rice took a smart, insecure girl and made her into a powerhouse debater because she encourage my passion to speak publicly, and I'm grateful for her influence!

Without those two women in my life, I might not have had the confidence to speak publicly or the courage to lead others. I'm glad they saw God's gifting in me and encouraged me to be exactly who God made me to be.  Since I've moved around so much, I don't believe either of these women know the impact they had upon my future life and where I've ended up now, which is often the case.  

We usually don't have any idea if we've influenced someone or made a valuable impression upon them.


Image result for pray without ceasing
My grandma was the type of mentor to me that a grandma should me - it was simply her life example that spoke volumes.  Whenever we would visit her, she had an old spiral notebook that she kept open on the kitchen table all day long and she would keep going back to it and jotting new things down.  I didn't realize it at first, but this was her prayer journal and this was her lifestyle of continual prayer for those around her.  She led a very simple life but as I asked her questions, I began to realize she was an amazing strong woman example for me.  A lady who came to age in the 1940's and pursued her master's in counseling so she could minister to missionaries while they were on furlough, she had a passion for prayer, for people and for learning. 

In my life, I've always wanted to be a woman of influence and I've pursued it with vigor at times because I desperately wanted to please God, to serve Him and share His hope with others.  I wanted to make a BIG difference in this world and to see people come to Christ because I was faithfully sharing His good news.  Although my heart was in the right place when I led women's Bible studies, flew off to Ukraine for a few years, started a writing and speaking ministry, etc. I wonder if I minimized the real ways that I can have influence.  

God's given me the opportunity to be an influence in 3 young people's lives and that's probably the greatest way I can made a difference in this world.  It isn't big and it isn't flashy but if my life is an example of faithful obedience to Christ, it will make a difference (I just might not always know how!)

Being a woman of influence means being a star in the sky that shines brightly of what God can do in a woman's life when she is fully committed to Him.  It's about seeing everything He made me to be and being completely committed to His purpose for me, not giving up, not giving in and not changing course unless He whispers in my ear and then being a person who follows His lead.  


(Part II is coming - I want to talk about women in leadership within the church, my vision statement and why I struggle with the Proverbs 31 woman.) 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Phillip Yancey

Shannon, at Rocks in my Dryer , is hosting a huge giveaway! Isn't that exciting! I love to give something meaningful to my friends - as I shop, I always look for just the right item that fits our relationship and the individual's personality. So, if you stop by this little blog of mine, I think you might like this gift I've picked out. This fall, I have been nourished by the wisdom of Phillip Yancey in his recent book on prayer. Our Bible study has plumbed the depths of prayer with Yancey's help in this amazing book. My personal prayer life has been challenged and I have probed the deeper questions surrounding prayer with a beloved mentor. I would love for you to enjoy this book too. I'll be giving the book away to one blessed commenter. So, leave a comment here and I'll be drawing a name next week to give away this treasure box full of well-mined jewels from God's Word and life's experiences. Don't forget to leave a comment to be entered in the draw

Thankful Thursday

A few things that fill my heart with gratitude... *Bright explosions in the sky *Bug repellent *Calamine and band aids for when we forget about the bug repellent (and the polka dot girl I put to bed each night whose sensitive skin seems to attract the little suckers) *Days spent at the beach *Life jackets *Aloe, although it can't take away a lobster red sunburn, it does soothe *Photographs and memories *The public library. My family has been enjoying plenty of summer library programs. *Ok, I'm even thankful for cockroaches. The kids sure had fun playing with the huge ones the "Bug Guy" Brought in for the last program we attended. They even ate a few bugs. (I am NOT joking!) I, on the other hand, found it conveniently necessary to excuse myself to the restroom right around the time the roaches and tarantulas were being brought out. *I'm thankful for a new job...which will be starting soon (more on that later). *Green slime, explosions, goggles and lab coats...yes,

In REAL Life

This week, I've been thankful for some "real" life fun with people I love. Here's ONE: Yesterday morning, the kids started the day out with some Karaoke fun. The first song requested was "Shine" by the Newsboys and I smiled as the kids bounced around in the family room to this song. Our little guy then asked for his favorite: Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie. Don't ask me why. But hearing a three year old boy sing about big girls crying is just adorable. We progressed to "Big Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstill. I have no idea what she means (why not a black kitten and an apple tree?), but the kids love the "whoo-hoo" part and that's all that really matters. Whoo-hoo....whoo-hoo! And the last song, a favorite of all, "Mr. Roboto" by STYX. Oh yeah. We shine our light for Jesus in Robot style around our house. Three little robots marched around with jerky movements singing word-for-word the entire song. Here'