Skip to main content

Thirty-eight?

I remember my sixteenth birthday party. A bunch of Christian girls came over to eat cake and watch "Sixteen Candles" with Molly Ringwold. My dad sat in the living room with us girls for a few minutes...until the movie got a little dicey for him. Poor Molly - remember her grandma feeling her up? All of my sweet and innocent girlfriends were pretty embarrassed too. We were still so pure and naive at sixteen.

I remember the pink roses my mom got me with sugar cubes interlaced throughout. It was indeed a sweet birthday. I looked forward to my birthdays back then - a day for Mom and Dad to pamper me with my favorite meals and gifts.

These days, I'm inching closer to the big 4-0. Don't tell my mom that though. She's still pretending to be 40 herself! And in my mind she is. Eternally 40. That's about how old she and Dad were when I graduated High school so they've maintained that age in my mind.

And I guess that means I still think I'm eighteen! Except that my brain keeps showing me signs of aging. How old do you have to be to get Alzheimer's? Seriously.

I wrote on the calendar yesterday that it was my 38th birthday.

Except it isn't. I'm ONLY 37! Why in the world would I want to make myself a year older than I am??? My husband's birthday is in December and when he adds a year to his age, I automatically do that too. So, I've already been acting like I was 37 for a few months!

This brain of mine forgets items at the grocery store regularly, blanks out on conversations, and acts like a sieve with lots of holes in it. Stuff goes in, but it seeps right back out again.


So, before I forget....

Thank you, dear, for my new Cricut! And thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes. Have a piece of cake on me (with only thirty-SEVEN candles on it!)

Comments

Staci said…
"This brain of mine forgets items at the grocery store regularly, blanks out on conversations, and acts like a sieve with lots of holes in it. Stuff goes in, but it seeps right back out again."

I do this on a regular basis too, and im only 28!!!! Maybe we do have alsheimers!!!!
Julie said…
Heather,
Happy Birthday. I turned 50 this year...and am rounding the corner again to another birthday.....
Where does the time go. I've done some pretty strange things myself.

Hope your day was blessed.

Julie
Melanie said…
Happy Birthday!
lori said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
I've got 3 on you....
The big four-ohhhhhh was really quite fun!!

But I've got to tell you, I'm a bit jealous....you got a Cricut!! I'll be over later to play...is it as COOL and AMAZING as it looks on that infomercial??? You lucky girl!!!

37.....you look mah vel us dahling!
HAPPY DAY! and MANY MORE!!!

hugs!!
lori

oh and the Laced with Grace post...that was mah vel us too!! Really great Heather!!

HUFF and PUFF....;)
and blow those candles out!!
lori
Anonymous said…
Your Mom and Dad will never forget your 16th birthday either - we thought "16 Candles" was going to be a cute, innocent movie. Oh, well... it was educational?? Love, From Your Very Young Mother
Tami said…
37, 38, what's the difference? Have a good one, Heather.
The Olson's: said…
My mom did the same thing. She had been thinking she was 40 and began planning for her 41st birthday only to realized that she was 39 turning 40! Suddenly, turning 40 wasn't so daunting! I am turning 36 next month...I'm glad it's not that scary!
~ Leanne
Susan said…
Oh Heather,

Sorry I'm late! I hope your birthday was really special for you. You look great, and so does that cake!!!!

Blessings to you my friend. I wish you many, many more!
Happy Birthday HEATHER!!! How awesome is that, I hope your day was spectacular! I am not that far behind you, I turn 37 in August (and for the longest time I thought I was already 37...but that was like when I was 34 or something...ah, what were we talking about???)

Ha, see, you are NOT the only one! It's a badge of Motherhood, wear it proudly sister!

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Phillip Yancey

Shannon, at Rocks in my Dryer , is hosting a huge giveaway! Isn't that exciting! I love to give something meaningful to my friends - as I shop, I always look for just the right item that fits our relationship and the individual's personality. So, if you stop by this little blog of mine, I think you might like this gift I've picked out. This fall, I have been nourished by the wisdom of Phillip Yancey in his recent book on prayer. Our Bible study has plumbed the depths of prayer with Yancey's help in this amazing book. My personal prayer life has been challenged and I have probed the deeper questions surrounding prayer with a beloved mentor. I would love for you to enjoy this book too. I'll be giving the book away to one blessed commenter. So, leave a comment here and I'll be drawing a name next week to give away this treasure box full of well-mined jewels from God's Word and life's experiences. Don't forget to leave a comment to be entered in the draw

Thankful Thursday

A few things that fill my heart with gratitude... *Bright explosions in the sky *Bug repellent *Calamine and band aids for when we forget about the bug repellent (and the polka dot girl I put to bed each night whose sensitive skin seems to attract the little suckers) *Days spent at the beach *Life jackets *Aloe, although it can't take away a lobster red sunburn, it does soothe *Photographs and memories *The public library. My family has been enjoying plenty of summer library programs. *Ok, I'm even thankful for cockroaches. The kids sure had fun playing with the huge ones the "Bug Guy" Brought in for the last program we attended. They even ate a few bugs. (I am NOT joking!) I, on the other hand, found it conveniently necessary to excuse myself to the restroom right around the time the roaches and tarantulas were being brought out. *I'm thankful for a new job...which will be starting soon (more on that later). *Green slime, explosions, goggles and lab coats...yes,

In REAL Life

This week, I've been thankful for some "real" life fun with people I love. Here's ONE: Yesterday morning, the kids started the day out with some Karaoke fun. The first song requested was "Shine" by the Newsboys and I smiled as the kids bounced around in the family room to this song. Our little guy then asked for his favorite: Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie. Don't ask me why. But hearing a three year old boy sing about big girls crying is just adorable. We progressed to "Big Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstill. I have no idea what she means (why not a black kitten and an apple tree?), but the kids love the "whoo-hoo" part and that's all that really matters. Whoo-hoo....whoo-hoo! And the last song, a favorite of all, "Mr. Roboto" by STYX. Oh yeah. We shine our light for Jesus in Robot style around our house. Three little robots marched around with jerky movements singing word-for-word the entire song. Here'