Skip to main content

Really, Truly, Completely


“Oh Lord, you have searched me and you know me.” Psalm 139:1

God’s intimate knowledge of every hidden part of my soul overwhelms me. He has searched in the darkest places and seen inside the locked messy closets of my heart. Nothing is hidden from Him. He knows my every thought – those that I ought to act upon but don’t and even the thoughts that make me blush.

He knows I’m not perfect – He’s well aware of that fact. So, why do I keep trying to pretend like I have it all together? I can’t hide my imperfections from Him – that sweater doesn’t cover up the flaws and the makeup won’t help either. So, I’m done with pretending and I’m ready to be REAL.

“Search me, O God, and know my heart…” Psalm 139:23

Jesus wants us to come to Him “Just as we are.” He expects us to bring to Him our brokenness, our humanity and our failures. When you think about it, that’s all I really have to give Him anyway – my praises, my works are pitiful offerings but He is pleased with my brokenness.

Psalm 51:17 “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.”

If this is what God expects from me – brokenness – then why do I expect any less from my brothers and sisters in Christ? How can I come to Jesus broken but then present a perfect face to the family of Christ? Honesty demands that I put aside all pretensions and allow you to see who I really am and that I accept you for who you really are.

David’s honesty with God might seem shocking to us. “Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord, and abhor those who rise up against you?” (Psalm 139:21) We think that this type of prayer has no place next to the glowing praises of God David just finished reciting. It seems so out of place in the context of the entire Psalm until we realize David is not afraid to be himself with God.

I have found very few people who are willing to go to the place that God calls us – this place of humility and honesty. Authenticity is rare these days. Even in so-called “reality” television programs, the participants are vying for attention and putting forth their best foot. People can share all their troubles with you and still not be sincere – authenticity is not just about digging up our messy sins.

Sincerity is the courage to be yourself no matter what others will think. The enemy of authenticity is the desire to please others and an overriding concern with the opinions of others. I don’t think this even entered David’s mind when he went dancing before the Lord half-clothed: he was only thinking of God.

True fellowship must begin with authentic community. I am weary of trying to be someone I am not – the one with all the answers or the one whose life is an example to others. Seriously, that kind of falsehood makes me want to vomit. I’ve met people whose authenticity welcomed me into their lives and I’ve met those who will never be true friends because they will not let down their guard. It’s ironic isn’t it? The person worrying about what others think actually puts forth a negative impression by being a “poser.”

Today, I want to let go of the fears and pride which keep me from being authentic. I want openness, sincerity and brokenness to define my life and ministry. May I never present myself as someone I am not.

Comments

Denise said…
Amen, my friend, amen.

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Phillip Yancey

Shannon, at Rocks in my Dryer , is hosting a huge giveaway! Isn't that exciting! I love to give something meaningful to my friends - as I shop, I always look for just the right item that fits our relationship and the individual's personality. So, if you stop by this little blog of mine, I think you might like this gift I've picked out. This fall, I have been nourished by the wisdom of Phillip Yancey in his recent book on prayer. Our Bible study has plumbed the depths of prayer with Yancey's help in this amazing book. My personal prayer life has been challenged and I have probed the deeper questions surrounding prayer with a beloved mentor. I would love for you to enjoy this book too. I'll be giving the book away to one blessed commenter. So, leave a comment here and I'll be drawing a name next week to give away this treasure box full of well-mined jewels from God's Word and life's experiences. Don't forget to leave a comment to be entered in the draw

Thankful Thursday

A few things that fill my heart with gratitude... *Bright explosions in the sky *Bug repellent *Calamine and band aids for when we forget about the bug repellent (and the polka dot girl I put to bed each night whose sensitive skin seems to attract the little suckers) *Days spent at the beach *Life jackets *Aloe, although it can't take away a lobster red sunburn, it does soothe *Photographs and memories *The public library. My family has been enjoying plenty of summer library programs. *Ok, I'm even thankful for cockroaches. The kids sure had fun playing with the huge ones the "Bug Guy" Brought in for the last program we attended. They even ate a few bugs. (I am NOT joking!) I, on the other hand, found it conveniently necessary to excuse myself to the restroom right around the time the roaches and tarantulas were being brought out. *I'm thankful for a new job...which will be starting soon (more on that later). *Green slime, explosions, goggles and lab coats...yes,

In REAL Life

This week, I've been thankful for some "real" life fun with people I love. Here's ONE: Yesterday morning, the kids started the day out with some Karaoke fun. The first song requested was "Shine" by the Newsboys and I smiled as the kids bounced around in the family room to this song. Our little guy then asked for his favorite: Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie. Don't ask me why. But hearing a three year old boy sing about big girls crying is just adorable. We progressed to "Big Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstill. I have no idea what she means (why not a black kitten and an apple tree?), but the kids love the "whoo-hoo" part and that's all that really matters. Whoo-hoo....whoo-hoo! And the last song, a favorite of all, "Mr. Roboto" by STYX. Oh yeah. We shine our light for Jesus in Robot style around our house. Three little robots marched around with jerky movements singing word-for-word the entire song. Here'