Skip to main content

Suffocating

My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken me? Far from my deliverance are the words of my groaning. O my God, I cry by day, but Thou dost not answer; and by night, but I have no rest. Yet Thou art holy, O Thou who art enthroned upon the praises of Israel.” (Psalm 22:1-2)


There are days when it is difficult to breathe. The world is shrouded in suffocating darkness; the path to heaven is blockaded with boulders, overgrown thistles and howling wolves. Every breath is effort, every movement is painful, and every part of your being is parched. Nothing seems to satisfy and nothing comes easily. Are you in this desert, are you suffering from spiritual pneumonia?

St. John of the Cross called this the dark night of the soul. God’s presence feels far away and the world seems empty of solace. During a dark night, the soul is stripped of all imaginary supports – even the experience of God’s presence. Somehow the wind is knocked out of you and your faith begins to crumble. Doubting creeps in and depression begins to take hold as emptiness seems your only companion.

“Turn your soul, I say, to walk toward God when all seems blackest and there is no light of His presence to be seen anywhere. Though this seems harsh at first, you will soon understand how this journey through dryness and darkness is God’s chosen way of purging your soul.” St. John of the Cross


When you feel as if God has abandoned you, you faith has come to its first real test. Faith means hanging on to God’s word even when it offers no encouragement because it looks only like ink on a page. Faith is the assurance that God is present regardless of my feelings. The dark night is a time to die to my selfish expectations of God and find a new faith that is based on truth not only experience.

“Mature Christian prayer inevitably leads to the purification of the dark night…which buries egoism and leads us out of ourselves to experience God...The sign of the cross is written large on the interior life of every authentic disciple.” Brennan Manning


When we let go of our desire to know the answers and when we stop asking why, God brings a peace in the midst of our darkness. We can truly be still before Him and just focus on breathing instead of thinking so hard about everything. So, the darkest of nights becomes a place where we find rest and learn to hear His voice when we stop asking and start listening.

Doubting God’s character in challenging circumstances is natural and though God welcomes it, this is a sign of the dark night. It is not so much the trial we are facing; it is our questioning of God that causes us to suffocate spiritually. When we wonder if God is really loving or if He actually cares for us, then we allow doubt to put its grip around our throats.

“Who is among you that fears the Lord, that obeys the voice of His servant, that walks in darkness and has no light? Let him trust in the name of the Lord and rely on his God” (Isaiah 50:10).

If you walk in a valley of shadows, know that you are not alone – it a path that all disciples must face. Paul, David, Job, Habakkuk begin the list of those who have sat in darkness and who came out on the other side with a new song.

Comments

Denise said…
Praise God we are never alone. Thanks for being such a shining example of Gods love.
Linda said…
Thank you for your kind comment Heather.
I can really embrace all you have so beautifully said here. In my darkest hour, when I couldn't even pray - I only found peace when I finally just trusted in God. I find over and over again, I must just choose to believe all He has said about Himself. Then I rest in His sovereignty. Then comes that peace that passes understanding.

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Phillip Yancey

Shannon, at Rocks in my Dryer , is hosting a huge giveaway! Isn't that exciting! I love to give something meaningful to my friends - as I shop, I always look for just the right item that fits our relationship and the individual's personality. So, if you stop by this little blog of mine, I think you might like this gift I've picked out. This fall, I have been nourished by the wisdom of Phillip Yancey in his recent book on prayer. Our Bible study has plumbed the depths of prayer with Yancey's help in this amazing book. My personal prayer life has been challenged and I have probed the deeper questions surrounding prayer with a beloved mentor. I would love for you to enjoy this book too. I'll be giving the book away to one blessed commenter. So, leave a comment here and I'll be drawing a name next week to give away this treasure box full of well-mined jewels from God's Word and life's experiences. Don't forget to leave a comment to be entered in the draw

Thankful Thursday

A few things that fill my heart with gratitude... *Bright explosions in the sky *Bug repellent *Calamine and band aids for when we forget about the bug repellent (and the polka dot girl I put to bed each night whose sensitive skin seems to attract the little suckers) *Days spent at the beach *Life jackets *Aloe, although it can't take away a lobster red sunburn, it does soothe *Photographs and memories *The public library. My family has been enjoying plenty of summer library programs. *Ok, I'm even thankful for cockroaches. The kids sure had fun playing with the huge ones the "Bug Guy" Brought in for the last program we attended. They even ate a few bugs. (I am NOT joking!) I, on the other hand, found it conveniently necessary to excuse myself to the restroom right around the time the roaches and tarantulas were being brought out. *I'm thankful for a new job...which will be starting soon (more on that later). *Green slime, explosions, goggles and lab coats...yes,

In REAL Life

This week, I've been thankful for some "real" life fun with people I love. Here's ONE: Yesterday morning, the kids started the day out with some Karaoke fun. The first song requested was "Shine" by the Newsboys and I smiled as the kids bounced around in the family room to this song. Our little guy then asked for his favorite: Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie. Don't ask me why. But hearing a three year old boy sing about big girls crying is just adorable. We progressed to "Big Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstill. I have no idea what she means (why not a black kitten and an apple tree?), but the kids love the "whoo-hoo" part and that's all that really matters. Whoo-hoo....whoo-hoo! And the last song, a favorite of all, "Mr. Roboto" by STYX. Oh yeah. We shine our light for Jesus in Robot style around our house. Three little robots marched around with jerky movements singing word-for-word the entire song. Here'