Skip to main content

God is Pro-Choice

Could God actually be pro-choice? You’re shocked to hear it, of course, and your religious political training is rebelling against the idea. Let me be clear; I’m not trying to make some big political statement about abortion (I’ll leave that hot topic alone)! This is much bigger than one issue – God’s mode of working among humankind has always been pro-choice within the confines of His ultimate sovereignty.
Let’s begin at the beginning. When God created human beings, He made man and woman in His own image which means He gave us freedom of choice. God’s decision to give mankind the choice to reject Him has always perplexed deep thinkers. We wonder why He would allow people to follow a path of self-destruction when He could have intervened in His power. Instead of forcing us to obey Him, He gives us space to make our own decisions and the freedom to fail.
If you are a parent, you understand both the agony and the necessity of freedom. At the beginning of life our children have no real freedoms, but each year we offer them a few more choices and a few more opportunities to show their character. The knowledge of good and evil has been passed down to us by our ancestors, Adam and Eve. Therefore, the choice of good vs. evil confronts us daily. Why is freedom of choice such a necessity? If God created beings who were inherently obedient, they would not be able to choose to follow God.
This links our freedom of choice to God’s longing for real love. Love must always be a choice. Have you ever seen someone who was coerced into a relationship? That’s not love; that’s abuse. God doesn’t force us to love Him and by the way, love is exhibited by obedience (showing we care about His preferences and putting Him above our own selfish desires). If I forced my daughter to make me a mother’s day card, it would be meaningless. When she, with no prompting from anyone, creates a masterpiece of 6 year old love, I treasure it forever. Our love is a spontaneous response to the love we’ve been shown by another. When we experience God’s love, we want to give ourselves to Him. God’s greatest desire is that we love Him sincerely, not follow Him because that’s what we’re supposed to do.
He made us creatures of choice because of love. True love cannot exist in an environment where freedom is absent. Just because He gave us the freedom to choose doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences for bad choices. He wants us to make the right choices and He even promises to lead us along straight paths, but He will never drag us along His way against our will. He will show us the way out of temptation and He will gently whisper directions in our ear, but He leaves the choice up to us.
Sometimes I wish He would make me obey. I want Him to empower me to be a transformed person by simply eliminating choice. I long for the struggle with sin to be finished, but He wants me to keep learning and growing in Him. He is more interested in the process and each time I choose to obey, my love for Him grows.
If you have watched a loved one making decisions that concern you, you know the agony God endures as He daily sees our misuse of freedom. Does He stand by watching idly? No, He has the power to overtake us and force us to obey, but He chooses to wait for us to make the first steps. He constrains His power so we can make our own choices and come to Him in love.

Comments

Anonymous said…
cute aint she!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Phillip Yancey

Shannon, at Rocks in my Dryer , is hosting a huge giveaway! Isn't that exciting! I love to give something meaningful to my friends - as I shop, I always look for just the right item that fits our relationship and the individual's personality. So, if you stop by this little blog of mine, I think you might like this gift I've picked out. This fall, I have been nourished by the wisdom of Phillip Yancey in his recent book on prayer. Our Bible study has plumbed the depths of prayer with Yancey's help in this amazing book. My personal prayer life has been challenged and I have probed the deeper questions surrounding prayer with a beloved mentor. I would love for you to enjoy this book too. I'll be giving the book away to one blessed commenter. So, leave a comment here and I'll be drawing a name next week to give away this treasure box full of well-mined jewels from God's Word and life's experiences. Don't forget to leave a comment to be entered in the draw

Thankful Thursday

A few things that fill my heart with gratitude... *Bright explosions in the sky *Bug repellent *Calamine and band aids for when we forget about the bug repellent (and the polka dot girl I put to bed each night whose sensitive skin seems to attract the little suckers) *Days spent at the beach *Life jackets *Aloe, although it can't take away a lobster red sunburn, it does soothe *Photographs and memories *The public library. My family has been enjoying plenty of summer library programs. *Ok, I'm even thankful for cockroaches. The kids sure had fun playing with the huge ones the "Bug Guy" Brought in for the last program we attended. They even ate a few bugs. (I am NOT joking!) I, on the other hand, found it conveniently necessary to excuse myself to the restroom right around the time the roaches and tarantulas were being brought out. *I'm thankful for a new job...which will be starting soon (more on that later). *Green slime, explosions, goggles and lab coats...yes,

In REAL Life

This week, I've been thankful for some "real" life fun with people I love. Here's ONE: Yesterday morning, the kids started the day out with some Karaoke fun. The first song requested was "Shine" by the Newsboys and I smiled as the kids bounced around in the family room to this song. Our little guy then asked for his favorite: Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie. Don't ask me why. But hearing a three year old boy sing about big girls crying is just adorable. We progressed to "Big Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstill. I have no idea what she means (why not a black kitten and an apple tree?), but the kids love the "whoo-hoo" part and that's all that really matters. Whoo-hoo....whoo-hoo! And the last song, a favorite of all, "Mr. Roboto" by STYX. Oh yeah. We shine our light for Jesus in Robot style around our house. Three little robots marched around with jerky movements singing word-for-word the entire song. Here'