Skip to main content

Healing

Hebrews 12:1 - 3 
1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 
2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 
3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.


I am not a runner.  Never have been and probably never will be.  Running takes some serious endurance, training and goal setting, but mainly I'm not a runner because it's HARD.  It hurts and I just want it to be over as soon as possible.  I've ran in a couple of 5K events - one ended with hot cocoa and the other was filled with blasts of color and dance music.  Most serious runners wouldn't say these events count for much (and if I'm really honest, I had to walk just a little bit during the race too!)

But teaching during COVID sometimes feels like running a marathon each day, according to my teachers who rarely have a moment to breathe during their jam packed days.  And if we are honest, the author of Hebrews was not wrong in comparing the trials of life to running a challenging race.  There are obstacles, pain and exhaustion that fill our days and the encouragement to listen to the people in the past, to persevere and to keep our eyes on Jesus is exactly what we need to hear!

This year my son Cody has begun to run in Cross Country and has learned first hand about the realities of running day in and day out.  He's had a sprained ankle, puked in a race, gotten shin splints and finished his last race in the snow as you can see above.  But the way I see it, all of these challenges are just an image, a telling visual of what has happened in Cody's life over the past 2 years.

Only God knows what is in store next for Cody, but he has certainly shown perseverance through his trials as a teenager.  If you haven't read his story, you can get caught up here and here.  Short version: Cody's C2 was broken, ligaments torn and discs wrecked in a wrestling incident that was millimeters away from paralyzation or even death.  Cody's injury meant no more football or wrestling, which is part of the reason why he joined Cross Country.  

He has kept on "running the race" in his faith over the past year, living for Christ, spending time with his youth group, at Christian camp, retreats and with a discipleship group.  Jeremiah 29:11 became my verse for him because I believed God had plans for Cody's life even if we couldn't see it at the moment.  

This week we had a visit to Mayo Clinic to get a one year follow up visit for Cody's neck.  I honestly didn't expect to hear anything too surprising - just to know his neck wasn't any worse than it was a year ago.  

But God has been at work behind the scenes (isn't He always?!!) and we got to see His miraculous hand in Cody's healing.  Yes, it's a race we are in and it requires perseverance but sometimes we get to a glimpse into what God is doing along the way.  God says don't grow weary, don't give up, persevere and someimes it feels like we are running blind, not sure of how God will provide or what will happen next.  But He reminds us to look to our cloud of witnesses in our doubts.

Hebrews 12 is speaking of the witnesses we have in scripture - Abraham, Moses and others who have gone before us in a life of faith.  But sometimes God gives us a cloud of witnesses who surround us right now - pastors, mentors, family.  

Who is in your cloud of witnesses?  Right now, I am surrounded by witnesses but mostly I'm encouraged today by my husband.  I'm blessed to see Darren's faith come to fruition in this past year.  He claimed over a year ago that God would heal Cody completely and he was reminded of that after our visit to the doctor.  

I never would have guessed that the doctor would say that Cody's neck was completely (COMPLETELY!) healed - no ligaments hanging, no curvature to the vertebrae, no damage to the discs.  No more worries about "What if?" or what might happen in Cody's old age.  His neck is healed.  

And so today we are praising God, thanking Him for His faithfulness in our challenges and for the glimpse into His power which strengthens our faith and our hope in all He has in store for us.  


Comments

Katie said…
Aw I love this

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Phillip Yancey

Shannon, at Rocks in my Dryer , is hosting a huge giveaway! Isn't that exciting! I love to give something meaningful to my friends - as I shop, I always look for just the right item that fits our relationship and the individual's personality. So, if you stop by this little blog of mine, I think you might like this gift I've picked out. This fall, I have been nourished by the wisdom of Phillip Yancey in his recent book on prayer. Our Bible study has plumbed the depths of prayer with Yancey's help in this amazing book. My personal prayer life has been challenged and I have probed the deeper questions surrounding prayer with a beloved mentor. I would love for you to enjoy this book too. I'll be giving the book away to one blessed commenter. So, leave a comment here and I'll be drawing a name next week to give away this treasure box full of well-mined jewels from God's Word and life's experiences. Don't forget to leave a comment to be entered in the draw

Thankful Thursday

A few things that fill my heart with gratitude... *Bright explosions in the sky *Bug repellent *Calamine and band aids for when we forget about the bug repellent (and the polka dot girl I put to bed each night whose sensitive skin seems to attract the little suckers) *Days spent at the beach *Life jackets *Aloe, although it can't take away a lobster red sunburn, it does soothe *Photographs and memories *The public library. My family has been enjoying plenty of summer library programs. *Ok, I'm even thankful for cockroaches. The kids sure had fun playing with the huge ones the "Bug Guy" Brought in for the last program we attended. They even ate a few bugs. (I am NOT joking!) I, on the other hand, found it conveniently necessary to excuse myself to the restroom right around the time the roaches and tarantulas were being brought out. *I'm thankful for a new job...which will be starting soon (more on that later). *Green slime, explosions, goggles and lab coats...yes,

In REAL Life

This week, I've been thankful for some "real" life fun with people I love. Here's ONE: Yesterday morning, the kids started the day out with some Karaoke fun. The first song requested was "Shine" by the Newsboys and I smiled as the kids bounced around in the family room to this song. Our little guy then asked for his favorite: Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie. Don't ask me why. But hearing a three year old boy sing about big girls crying is just adorable. We progressed to "Big Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstill. I have no idea what she means (why not a black kitten and an apple tree?), but the kids love the "whoo-hoo" part and that's all that really matters. Whoo-hoo....whoo-hoo! And the last song, a favorite of all, "Mr. Roboto" by STYX. Oh yeah. We shine our light for Jesus in Robot style around our house. Three little robots marched around with jerky movements singing word-for-word the entire song. Here'