Skip to main content

He Restores My Soul

This morning I am feasting on the Word of God, savoring every nuance, drinking deeply of the truth God speaks.  I'm letting Him fill me up to overflowing with hope, peace and love as I soak in Psalm 23.  Even though I've heard these words many times, they are fresh and new today.

I shall not want.


We live in a fast-paced consumer-driven society.  There is always something more, something better and our hunger seems to never be satisfied.  I think we have a tendency to be compulsively busy, getting antsy if there isn't something to occupy our minds or our hands.  This sitting at home business is boring and maybe it's just me, but I find myself itching to go somewhere, do something, or else I'm working at all hours of the day.  If I'm not working, I'm looking for a book to read or a show to watch - empty time and space in our days can seem vacuous.  Do we know what it means to not want?  Do we know how to settle down and just sit?  When we come to God and give him our anxieties and inner struggles, we can rest, slow down, and listen to His voice.    He calls us to BE STILL, to be a peace with quiet and to not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures.


This one hit me personally because I'm trying hard to not let food be the thing that fills my empty spaces and I love to munch.  If I were surrounded by Willy Wonka's chocolate fountain and edible paradise, could I just lie down and be satisfied without wanting to nibble on everything that looks so delicious?  God makes it possible to rest and be FULL even when delicacies are surrounding us.  This is a beautiful image of being completely satisfied in God and His love, feeling no need for anything else even when we are surrounded by it.

He leads me beside quiet waters.  He restores my soul.


A little kayak ride this week, some gazing upon our ponds and a view of the glass surface of the lake were enough to restore my soul!  When things have been stormy and chaotic, God provides a quiet interlude to be restored.  Amen?

He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.


We've been talking about pursuing holiness at church lately as we've studied 1 Peter.  My kids have been sincerely pursuing God's word and desiring to follow Him in their lives - what a blessing!  I pray that they will be guided in paths of righteousness on a regular basis and God has answered that prayer in a mighty way this week.  My son got a job for the summer doing manual labor and enjoyed the work and the people he worked with for the first couple of weeks and he was happy to be making money for himself.  He and his dad were talking about how to maintain purity and honor God with his life when surrounded by worldly influences and he took this seriously.  So, when something happened at work that was in strong opposition to his conscience, he made the decision to quit.  He said I can't stay committed to my values if I'm going to be around these behaviors.  And he made the hard decision to quit his job - I'm so incredibly proud of him.  That's what it looks like to have God guide you in a path of righteousness!

Psalm 23 verses 4-6 apply to so many challenges we face in life, but definitely in the midst of a pandemic.  Take some time today to savor these words even though you've heard them a million times before, may God whisper in your ear today, 


Be still, I'm with you, and I'm going to take care of you.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Phillip Yancey

Shannon, at Rocks in my Dryer , is hosting a huge giveaway! Isn't that exciting! I love to give something meaningful to my friends - as I shop, I always look for just the right item that fits our relationship and the individual's personality. So, if you stop by this little blog of mine, I think you might like this gift I've picked out. This fall, I have been nourished by the wisdom of Phillip Yancey in his recent book on prayer. Our Bible study has plumbed the depths of prayer with Yancey's help in this amazing book. My personal prayer life has been challenged and I have probed the deeper questions surrounding prayer with a beloved mentor. I would love for you to enjoy this book too. I'll be giving the book away to one blessed commenter. So, leave a comment here and I'll be drawing a name next week to give away this treasure box full of well-mined jewels from God's Word and life's experiences. Don't forget to leave a comment to be entered in the draw

Thankful Thursday

A few things that fill my heart with gratitude... *Bright explosions in the sky *Bug repellent *Calamine and band aids for when we forget about the bug repellent (and the polka dot girl I put to bed each night whose sensitive skin seems to attract the little suckers) *Days spent at the beach *Life jackets *Aloe, although it can't take away a lobster red sunburn, it does soothe *Photographs and memories *The public library. My family has been enjoying plenty of summer library programs. *Ok, I'm even thankful for cockroaches. The kids sure had fun playing with the huge ones the "Bug Guy" Brought in for the last program we attended. They even ate a few bugs. (I am NOT joking!) I, on the other hand, found it conveniently necessary to excuse myself to the restroom right around the time the roaches and tarantulas were being brought out. *I'm thankful for a new job...which will be starting soon (more on that later). *Green slime, explosions, goggles and lab coats...yes,

In REAL Life

This week, I've been thankful for some "real" life fun with people I love. Here's ONE: Yesterday morning, the kids started the day out with some Karaoke fun. The first song requested was "Shine" by the Newsboys and I smiled as the kids bounced around in the family room to this song. Our little guy then asked for his favorite: Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie. Don't ask me why. But hearing a three year old boy sing about big girls crying is just adorable. We progressed to "Big Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstill. I have no idea what she means (why not a black kitten and an apple tree?), but the kids love the "whoo-hoo" part and that's all that really matters. Whoo-hoo....whoo-hoo! And the last song, a favorite of all, "Mr. Roboto" by STYX. Oh yeah. We shine our light for Jesus in Robot style around our house. Three little robots marched around with jerky movements singing word-for-word the entire song. Here'